Tuesday 25 October 2011

Current Event 4

Strange Life Found in Deepest Ocean
Author:N/A
Internet
Oct,24,2011

Scientists are studying the deepest part of the ocean. It is called Mariana Trench. These animals I'm going t talk about xenophyophores. They are spotted in San Diego,Mariana Trench beneath 6.6 miles. They are a very interesting type of sea creatures and are highly adapted to extreme conditions. These small creatures are among the largest individual cells in existence. They usually grow bigger than 4 inches.Rapping particals from the H2O, xenophyophores can focus at high levels of lead, uranium and mercury and are thus likely highly resistant to gigantic doses of heavy metals. 

1. How could this be good or bad for the society? It is actually neutral for now.  

2.How did you find it? I was looking at the animals bar on Discovery and actually "deepest" took my attention.

3.Did it come from a reliable resource? Yes, Discovery is sometimes my last chance and I always find good articles 

4.What did you learn? I learned what the deepest ocean was. 

URL :  http://news.discovery.com/animals/deep-sea-amoeba-life-111023.html 

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how they found life so deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amoeba's are one of my favorite protists! Isn't it cool how they can find such tiny creatures living so deep in the oceans? Also, I wonder what scientists can do with this information. The oceans are getting higher doses of heavy metals and they could see what makes these creatures tolerant to it.

    ReplyDelete